When two parents aren’t together, custody issues can often be problematic. However, some circumstances might allow you to seek sole custody of your child. It’s best to consult with an attorney to determine your next steps.

Whether you’ve been through a recent divorce or were never married to your child’s other parent, custody issues can quickly become worrisome and contentious. There may come a time when you need to seek sole conservatorship of your child for one reason or another. When this happens, it’s best to have a knowledgeable Sugar Land child custody lawyer by your side. They can help you determine if you have a reason to seek sole conservatorship and, if you do, help you in your pursuit.

What is a Conservator?

A conservator is someone appointed by the court, usually a parent. Their job is to take care of someone who cannot take care of themselves. A conservator generally has custody of the child. A child might have joint conservators, usually both parents. They can also have a single conservator, depending on the family circumstances. More detailed information can be found in the Texas Family Law Code.

Conservatorship, also commonly known as custody, can be ordered by a family court judge in a:

  1. Divorce case 
  2. Lawsuit impacting the parent-child relationship case (SAPCR case), 
  3. Paternity case
  4. Family violence protective order case

There may also be other reasons. Keep in mind that the judge will always side with what is in the child’s best interests. If you are already in a parenting plan, you do have the right to request a modification under certain circumstances.

Reasons for Sole Conservatorship

Family court judges will sometimes grant sole conservatorship to one parent or sometimes a non-parent if there is a legitimate reason for doing so. The sole conservator can make critical decisions about the child’s life, such as those involving education, religion, and healthcare. They can also decide where the child should reside and typically have a right to receive child support.

The court might name a parent or another party as sole managing conservator if the other or both parents:

  1. Commit family violence
  2. Commit child abuse or neglect
  3. Abuse drugs or alcohol
  4. Are absent in the child’s life
  5. Have a history of extreme conflict between them concerning educational, medical, and religious values
  6. One parent doesn’t want joint managing conservatorship

If you have reason to believe the judge should grant you sole conservatorship, an experienced Sugar Land child custody attorney can help. It’s often not about you but how your child’s other parent conducts themselves.

Questions about Conservatorship? Contact an Experienced Sugar Land Child Custody Lawyer Today

At Jaime Jordan, PLLC, we know that custody issues are confusing, complicated, and emotional. You likely have many questions and simply want the best for your child and family. There are many factors to consider. Whether you have one child or many, you can rely on us for steadfast representation in your custody case. We can help you understand the circumstances from a legal perspective and present you with your potential options. You can learn more about our conservatorship services by scheduling your legal consultation today. Call (832) 463-4933 or reach out to us online.