Even though custody arrangements should be long-term, they can be changed under certain circumstances with court approval. To find out more specifically what events might allow for a change and how to make a change, meet with an experienced divorce attorney.

When two parents divorce or decide they no longer want to reside at the same residence, it can be for the best. However, custody arrangements are nonetheless challenging. Parents naturally want to be with their children. Still, there are also the logistics of school, employment, activities, and other obligations. When the court creates or approves a custody agreement, it intends for the arrangement to be long-term. The court also understands that sometimes life brings unavoidable changes that beg a modification of the custody arrangements. In these cases, it can be possible to change a child custody arrangement. The first step in the process is to talk to a well-versed Sugar Land child custody lawyer who can help you navigate this path.

What Circumstances Allow for Child Custody Changes?

Suppose your child is older than 12 and desires a change in the custody arrangement. In that case, you have a valid reason for requesting a change and a good chance at the court giving the go-ahead for the change.

If your child is less than 12 years or doesn’t want to change their primary caregiver, the current child custody order cannot be modified unless the change in circumstances is material and substantial. A change in circumstances might include:

  • Changes in the marital status of the parents
  • Employment relocations
  • Unemployment
  • Medical conditions
  • Neglect or abuse of the child by either parent
  • Substance abuse by either parent

There may also be other reasons, so be sure to discuss your specific situation with a knowledgeable Sugar Land child custody attorney.

How Do You Make Changes to the Custody Arrangement?

If you have an amicable relationship with your child’s other parent or feel like you have a chance at having a calm, productive conversation, start with them. Explain your reasons for wanting a change to the custody arrangement and how you believe it will benefit your child or even them. Whatever you do, remain calm. If you can both agree on changes, your Sugar Land child custody attorney can help you seek the court’s approval for them.

If, however, you cannot reach an agreement on changes to your custody arrangement, and your spouse refuses to alter the initial custody order voluntarily, you will need to ask the judge to make the necessary changes for you. Keep in mind that the judge’s priority is whatever is in the best interest of the child. As such, you will need to prove that there has been a valid change in circumstances and that whatever changes you are proposing benefit your child more than the current ones.

Call an Experienced Sugar Land Child Custody Lawyer Today for Help

At Jaime Jordan, PLLC, we are here to help, no matter your custody arrangement or situation. Learn more about our legal child custody services by scheduling your legal consultation with an experienced Sugar Land child custody lawyer today. Call (832) 463-4933 or contact us online.