Your Family is Our Priority

Experience. Passion. Results.

Sugar Land Out of State Relocation Lawyer & Child Custody Attorney in Texas

Consult with Our Sugar Land Attorney

In the state of Texas, a parent with custody who wishes to move with the child or children in question must first obtain the permission of the other parent or get the court’s permission. A custodial parent seeking to move out of state with their child cannot do so without first obtaining a court order allowing such an action. Should they relocate without a court order, there could be very serious penalties. Also, any parent who does not want their child to move may seek an ex parte order to change the custody agreement immediately, pending a hearing.

If you would like to relocate with your child out of state or if your former spouse is trying to move, it is very important that you talk to a Fort Bend County attorney immediately. Jamie Jordan, PLLC is here to help you navigate the process, always seeking a favorable resolution for both you and your children.

Contact us online or call 281-466-3994 to discuss your situation with Attorney Jamie Jordan. We offer free initial consultations by phone and in person.

What to Consider When Deciding to Relocate

A parent wishing to relocate must have either the consent of the other parent or a court order allowing the relocation. When making a decision whether or not to allow a custodial parent to move, the court will look at the reasons the parent wants to relocate, such as employment or family connections. Under Texas law, a parent’s ability to move out of state is based primarily on the best interests of the child.

Other factors the court takes into account include:

  • The child’s quality of life relating to the move
  • Your ex-spouse’s involvement and dedication to the children
  • Your consent regarding longer or less frequent visits
  • Your willingness to support visitation modifications
  • Your willingness to accept increased transportation costs
  • Whether or not your move is an attempt to restrict the other parent’s access to the children

Attorney Jamie Zand is well versed in the laws and circumstances surrounding the relocation of a custodial parent. At firm name, we can stand by your side and advise you throughout the entire relocation process.

Choose Jamie Jordan, PLLC

Should we take on your child custody relocation case, we can immediately set to work in the evaluation of the case. Under the guidance of our experienced Fort Bend County attorney, your case will be handled in the most appropriate manner possible. It is not an easy decision to relocate, nor will it be an easy process to accomplish on your own. Therefore, it is imperative that you secure the right legal representation to assist in your efforts to do so. Attorney Jamie Jordan Zand has over 10 years of experience handling complex child custody cases – she is ready to fight for you.

To discuss a relocation matter with us, call 281-466-3994 today and request a free consultation.

Jamie Jordan



Attorney Jamie Jordan understands the pain of divorce – her parents divorced when she was a child and she has also personally experienced the pain of divorce from a previous marriage. She understands the emotional turmoil of this difficult time and she is passionate about providing caring and compassionate representation to clients navigating a divorce. Whether you are facing a contested divorce or a more amicable uncontested divorce, Attorney Jamie Jordan is ready to help you.