Many parents have a great relationship with their ex-spouse or don’t want to face the hassle of getting court approval for a custody modification. They might decide to change the agreement between themselves without getting court approval. This might be convenient, but it could also cause future problems.

Child custody agreements are legally binding. Family courts expect them to be permanent yet will allow changes to the agreements when there is a change in circumstances. For example, one parent moves or changes their work schedule, or the children go to a different school. When these situations arise, you can petition the court to change the agreement. 

If you and your ex-spouse have an amicable relationship or need something changed rather quickly, you might be thinking about changing your agreement without going to court. You don’t have to go to court to modify your custody agreement. However, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t. Before making any decisions, it is in your best interest to talk to a knowledgeable Sugar Land child custody modification lawyer. 

The Enforceability Pitfall

If you want your new custody agreement to be legally enforceable, you must go through the court system. No matter how well you and your child’s other parent get along or how much you trust them, an agreement that is not signed by a judge isn’t enforceable in court. Unfortunately, if you continued to abide by the new agreement and the other parent no longer agreed to it, they would have the court on their side.

You and the other parent don’t have to go to court to get a judge to determine custody if you can work out a mutually agreeable custody modification arrangement. However, you will want to get your agreement court-approved. A Sugar Land child custody modification attorney can ensure that you have the judge sign your agreement so that it can be legally enforced if the need ever arises.

The Potential to Overstep Boundaries

Perhaps you agree on a new custody arrangement on your own, and things go smoothly and are even beneficial. Your child’s other parent may begin asking for favors or slight changes to your custody agreement. However, it can quickly become a slippery slope. If you acquiesce to their requests, they may start asking for more or assuming that more is okay with you. 

Meet with a Knowledgeable Sugar Land Child Custody Modification Lawyer

You don’t have to go to court to change your custody agreement. However, it is in yours, your child’s, and their other parent’s best interests to do so. At Jaime Jordan, PLLC, we encourage you to meet with a lawyer and understand your legal rights and obligations for custody agreements. Learn more about our family law services by scheduling your legal consultation with a knowledgeable Sugar Land child custody modification attorney. Call (832) 463-4933 or reach out to us online today. Before you agree to a custody modification outside of court, reach out to us for guidance.