Child custody issues, moving, and new jobs are all stressors. When you combine all three, life can seem quite chaotic. A qualified attorney can help you with your custody issues as you seek to take your child with you when you move.

Not many aspects of life remain the same. When you and your child’s other parent made your custody agreement or received custody orders from the court, you might have anticipated that your life would remain relatively the same for some time to come. The courts anticipate this too and intend for child custody arrangements to be long-term. However, sometimes desires change, or life throws unexpected curveballs that you must deal with. Either way, if you find yourself needing to relocate out of state for a job, you need an experienced Sugar Land out of state relocation rights lawyer on your side. 

Are You Allowed to Move for a Job and Take Your Child?

It’s important to understand that the courts cannot keep you from moving. However, the courts or your child’s other parent can keep you from taking your child with you when you move. You are only allowed to do this with the permission of the court. There is no standard answer to this question. However, when you discuss your desires and plans with a seasoned Sugar Land out of state relocation rights attorney, they can help you determine the best course of action. Whether you are allowed to take your child and move will depend on many factors, such as:

  • Your current relationship with your child
  • How far you will be moving
  • How the move could impact your child
  • Your motivation for moving (Are you trying to keep your child from the other parent?)
  • What the other parent thinks about you taking the child with you
  • How often your child would see their other parent and what the transportation plans would be

Approval for Parental Relocation in Texas

You can seek approval for your plan to relocate by agreement or through the court system. A Sugar Land out of state relocation rights lawyer can help you with either option. If at all possible, coming to an agreement is easier, less expensive, and not as time-consuming. However, if you don’t have an amicable relationship with your child’s other parent, it might be impossible. If you can work out a new custody arrangement based on your relocation, you can submit it to the court for approval and be on your way. 

If you can’t work things out, you will need to file a child custody modification request with the courts. You will need to wait for the court to hear your request. You are at their mercy for what happens next. 

Turn to a Compassionate Sugar Land Out of State Relocation Lawyer for Help

Don’t risk your parental rights or your chances of moving with your child by handling your negotiations or child custody modification request on your own. Having legal representation can help improve your outcome. 

At Jaime Jordan, PLLC, we understand the stresses that come with child custody issues. We aren’t afraid to aggressively advocate for your rights. You can book your legal consultation today with a reputable Sugar Land out of state relocation rights attorney by calling (832) 463-4933 or use our online contact form.